Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Don't Squish the Sasquatch

Don’t Squish the Sasquatch! 
By Kent Redeker; illustrated by Bob Staake
40 pages, ages 1-5
Disney Hyperion, 2012

“Hello, Mr. Blobule! May I ride your bus?” Of course, says the bus driver. “I hope it doesn’t get too crowded,” says Mr. Sasquatch. “I do not like to get squished!” And so, with grinding of gears and a lurch, the story takes off with Sasquatch relaxing in a seat at the back of the bus.

But then Miss Elephant-Shark and Mr. Octo-Rhino and a host of other mixed-up creatures ask to ride the bus. “Of course you may ride my bus,” says the driver, “But please… Don’t squish the Sasquatch!” The bus goes up hills, down hills, on rolly curvy roads and the sasquatch gets squished with each new rider until, finally… KABLOOEY!

“Oh no! We squished the sasquatch!” What’s to be done but help patch him up with kisses and, at the end, a group hug which (you guessed) squishes the sasquatch! Poor guy – he can’t win.

What I like: the story starts before the title page, and posted beneath the bus stop sign a note: are we there yet? I love the way the words sing, the way the riders smoosh to the back as the bus goes up hills – even the loving but misguided group hug at the end. What a fun book to read aloud. 

Review copy from a library.

1 comment:

  1. I like the sound of this one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete