by Bonny Becker; illus. by Kady MacDonald Denton
32 pages; ages 3-7
"Bear had never been to the library. He has seven very nice books at home..." And as far as bear was concerned, those were all the books he would ever need.
Themes: friendship, pickles, books
Opening: "One morning, Bear heard a tap, tap, tapping on his door. When he opened the door, there was Mouse, small and gray and bright-eyed." Mouse is ready to go to the library, but now Bear is having second thoughts. He doesn't need any more books.
What I love about this book: Mouse's insistence that there are "many delightful books in the library" - and his never-give-up attitude. Also his never-ending assistance in finding books for Bear.
"Rocket ships! Ridiculous!" says Bear.
"I am not interested in wooden canoes!" declares Bear.
All Bear wants is to go back home.... until he hears the story lady reading a book about his very favorite thing: pickles.
Beyond the book: When was the last time you went to the library to look for a book? And was it the same kind of book you always check out? If so, maybe you need to go on a Library Adventure. Here are a few ideas:
- Look for the biggest book in the library. Then take your picture next to it.
- Travel somewhere exotic. Spin the globe and choose a country. Then find some travel books to check out for an armchair adventure. Hop on the computer and look for photos of the country you've chosen. Make a map of your "travels" and draw some "photos" to show what you did or where you went.
- Go to the cookbook section and find a new recipe. Then go to the store (and farmer's market), get the ingredients, and get cooking.
- Look through the books on plants and animals and learn to identify something new. Then go out and look for it.
- Find a book of Baby names and make a list of funny name combinations. Then adopt a new name for the day.
- Check out a book by an author you have never read before.