Friday, November 7, 2014

Alone Together

Alone Together
by Suzanne Bloom
32 pages; ages 2 - 5
Boyds Mills Press

Who can resist big white fluffy bear? Especially if you're very-talkative fox? I love the opening:
Where's Bear?
     Over there.
Alone?
     Sometimes, Bear likes to be alone.

Yes indeed, sometimes Bear does like to be alone contemplating his navel, spinning his top, enjoying the quiet. That's OK, because Fox is going to join bear so they can both be alone. Except...

... Fox is insatiably curious and wants to know why Bear is alone. Is he sad? mad? lonely? And would he mind terribly if Fox is alone with him? But Fox is .... Fox, and if Bear wanted some quiet alone time - well, let's just say that he should have found an empty page in another book.

What I love about this book: the art. the silliness of it. the universal desire for some quiet space, and the just-as-universal tendency to impose on that quiet space. But most of all, the bond of love between the friends.

Beyond the book: How can you share some quiet time with your friend? Maybe you could sit on a couch together reading books, or one person could read and another person draw. Think of other ways you can share a space but be alone with your own thoughts for awhile, and not be bothered by noise from other people (or TVs or radios or cell phones)

Today we're joining PPBF (perfect picture book Friday), an event in which bloggers share great picture books at Susanna Leonard Hill's site. She keeps an ever-growing list of Perfect Picture BooksReview copy provided by publisher.

12 comments:

  1. What an unusual theme in a picture book -- space, qiet time and enjoying being alone. This is a great topic about friendship and respecting each other -- but having fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. respecting alone time.... and sharing quiet time - why do people think we always have to be talking or playing when we are with our friends? sometimes just sharing a table and drawing is the perfect way to spend an hour or so.

      Delete
  2. I was impressed with Suzanne's books, too, though I haven't read this one yet. Deceptively simple. Completely charming. This book would make a good pairing with Joanna's Maple and Willow, I think. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super title and great topic to address in a picture book. I do agree, with Joanne on the suggested pairing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. celebrates sharing quiet without isolating yourself. yes... good pairing. Though I myself might pair it with a fine glass of semi-dry riesling...

      Delete
  4. Sounds great! And I love the cover. I put it on hold at my library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover art! Suzanne visited our SCBWI shoptalk and shared her artistic process - and lots of pre-published illustrations for this book. It looks deceptively simple.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful book. Love the theme, quiet time, yep love that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see kids these days spending a lot of time together but alone - on their phones and ipads! Much better to be reading books together! This looks like a cute story. I often feel much like Bear and I have a "Fox" who insists on being alone with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technology has the promise of connecting people, but I see too many cases where kids text each other... and they are in same room or one room away & could walk over and talk. I hear this happens in the corporate world, too... people texting folks instead of walking down a couple cubicles.

      Delete