Friday, May 3, 2013

Bedtime is Canceled!


Bedtime is Canceled
by Cece Meng; illustrated by Aurelie Neyret
32 pages; ages 4-8
Clarion Books, 2012

As a journalist, I get press releases all the time - releases meant to be passed on to the editor, sent to the typesetter, rushed into print. Usually we know exactly where these important announcements are coming from, and verify their veracity before they hit print.

But what if a girl and her brother scribble a note that reads: Bedtime Is Canceled.
And what if the parents don't believe it and the note ends up in the trash, and the wind gets hold of it and it loop-de-loops across town onto the desk of the night reporter who probably needs another cup of coffee... and what if it ends up splashed across the front page in bold headlines:
BEDTIME IS CANCELED
...and what if Everyone believed it?

Would you take advantage of that situation to play hide and seek all night? Flashlight tag? Eat spaghetti by moonlight? This is just plain fun reading... and maybe a cautionary tale to those who read tabloids without a soupcon of skepticism.
Review copy provided by publisher.

2 comments:

  1. What a great story!! My Mom Person would love to have bedtime canceled!! Me not so much. I like my sleep. I think I'll be looking for this book! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really cute. I will see if I can get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete