Friday, May 24, 2013

Doggone Feet! ( a book with feet that can't be beat)


Doggone Feet!
written & illustrated by Leslie Helakoski
32 pages; ages 4-7
Boyds Mills Press, 2013

How can you resist a book that begins, "I followed Legs home from the park one fine day"? It's almost as hard as saying no to a stray who gives you that sad-eyed "feed me" look....

So, the book. I couldn't resist and I had to turn one page and then another. I like the silliness of a story told by a dog's under-the-table point of view. People are named by the feet they have: toes (barefoot), pink socks, blue boots.

I like the way the dog makes room for new people - and their feet - in her life. She starts with a complaint: blue boots banging on the table... "I DON'T LIKE THESE FEET!" and then the realization that there's room for another pair of feet.

I especially like the ending.... which involves more and more feet and is very sweet. And the bright, bold illustrations of All Those Feet!

Review copy provided by the publisher.

3 comments:

  1. I love this!! I SEE the world as more than feet. But I always SMELL feet. And that tells me about who I'm seeing! I'll have to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but I bet you've put in your time seeing the world from under a table...

      Delete