Friday, October 2, 2020

Scary Spiders...

 This month I’m getting ready for Halloween. So I’m featuring almost-scary stories all month long. Today it’s ….

Stink and the Hairy Scary Spider
by Megan McDonald ; illus by Peter H. Reynolds
160 pages; ages 6-9
Candlewick, 2020

If you have not yet met Stink, then you’re in for a treat. This paper-folding origami whiz seems like a normal second-grader, and he just happens to be Judy Moody’s brother. In this tale, Stink discovers a pink-toed tarantula – which would be cool, except he is afraid of spiders. Especially giant hairy scary spiders! When his best buddy, Webster talks him into rescuing the spider – it’s a lost pet – Stink is forced to face his fear.

What I like about this book is that author Megan McDonald has packed as many cool spider facts in it as she can. For example, did you know that one acre of land can have up to one million spiders? In case you’re wondering, an acre is less than the area of a football field. You can get a good idea for its size by pacing off a rectangle 66 feet on one side by 660 feet. 

And if spiders ate people (which they don’t), all the spiders in the world could finish off all the humans populating Earth in a single year. 

I also like McDonald’s use of similes. For example, Stink is as quiet “as a trapdoor spider waiting to catch a beetle.” There’s also a “meet the spider” page and (because you know I love it) Back Matter! This time you get to learn how to fold an origami critter… not a spider, though, because origami spiders are hard!

Stink isn’t the only one scared of spiders. Entomologists, scientists who study insects, are also afraid of spiders. You can read the study – plus find out what else entomologists are afraid of – here (free pdf of study).


Thanks for dropping by today. On Monday we'll be hanging out at Marvelous Middle Grade Monday with other  bloggers. It's over at Greg Pattridge's blog, Always in the Middle, so hop over to see what other people are reading. ARC provided by the publisher.


10 comments:

  1. I love Stink! And when combined with cool spider facts, it's a winning combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't met Stink but this sounds like a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun story! It should be popular with kids, even those a bit squeamish about spiders. Thanks for featuring this title on MMGM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know Stink either, but sounds like a fun book. I personally don't mind spiders so this would work for sharing with my young readers (also not afraid of spiders). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stink is always such fun. I have just a few of the books for some of my emerging readers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! One million spiders on an acre of land! I am not afraid of spiders, but not a fan either. I didn't know Judy Moody had a brother, Stink. Love Reynold's illustrations. Think my great grandson would have fun with this book. He likes insects etc. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like spiders. That said, they do fascinate me. From a distance, please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a fun story! The spider facts sound quite neat (and terrifying)! Also, I just got sucked down a Judy Moody Internet rabbit hole and realized I apparently saw the Judy Moody movie in theaters, so thanks for surfacing that buried memory! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a lot of fun. I must admit I am no fan of spiders, but maybe I should be. Thanks for telling me about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! I haven't read a Stink book- but I have read a Judy Moody book and enjoyed it. I do love spiders- so maybe I should pick this one up. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete