Friday, January 29, 2021

Don't Hug Doug

 

Don't Hug Doug: (He Doesn't Like It) 
by Carrie Finison; illus. by Daniel Wiseman 
32 pages; ages 3-7
G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, 2021

theme: hugs, individuality
 

You can hug a pug. You can hug a bug.
 
You could probably even hug a porcupine… ve-e-ery carefully. Just don’t hug Doug because he doesn’t like it! Even though Doug is a seriously no-hug type of guy, he likes you. Just not hugs.
 
What I like about this book: I love the illustration showing what Doug thinks about hugs: too squeezy and squashy. I love that Carrie Finison shows the great diversity of things that Doug likes. She then shows other ways that Doug lets his friends know that he likes you. Turns out Doug is a master of high fives. But here’s the point – and it’s important: everybody, including your cat, gets to decide for themselves whether they want a hug or not.



Beyond the Books:
 
Do you like to be hugged? Or would you rather not be hugged? Are there some people you let hug you and others you don’t?
 
Draw a picture of what you think about hugs. What are the things you like – or don’t like – about hugs?
 
How do you show your friends that you like them? Do you do high fives? Fist bumps? Jump-twirls? Elbow tags?
 
Today we're joining Perfect Picture Book Friday, an event where bloggers share great picture books at Susanna Leonard Hill's website. Reviewed from a copy provided by the publisher.

4 comments:

  1. Being immensely fond of hugs, this book has me hoping Doug will, one day, experience the most amazing hug. Thank you for a great review of a picture book I need to add to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one's on my TBR list! I hated being forced to hug all of the aunts and uncles when I was little. Much better at hugging those whom I want to hug now, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book. Doug is a cute kid and I love the way it shows kids that you need to respect others wishes. I myself love hugs but this colorful cleverly written story is a must read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have read several reviews and wasn't sure if this is a book about Doug who is "sensitive" to touch or just doesn't like hugs. But, I do think it's also a book about learning boundaries. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete