Friday, December 15, 2017

Read! Read! Read! Poems by Amy Ludwig Vanderwater

Read! Read! Read!
by Amy Ludwig Vanderwater; illus. by Ryan O'Rourke
32 pages; ages 5-10
WordSong, 2017

Real readers will read anything: cereal boxes, maps, field guides, comic books, the sports pages.... So many things to read! So little time!

Poems focus on the ways readers connect to the word and their world. For example - reading road signs while driving to the beach. Or pulling out a paper map - I love maps - and locating yourself in space.

My favorite is "Field Guide" in which a reader, nestled on the couch with a field guide "perched upon my lap" is learning the names of hawks. "I study hawks trapped flat in books so I will know hawks in 3-d," she writes. "...hawk by hawk my field guide teaches me to see." A fun book filled with poems that are perfect for ... reading. 

There is no Perfect Picture Book Friday today. But there is a holiday story contest - so head on over to Susanna Leonard Hill's site where you can find a selection of story entries and links to more. Review copy provided by publisher.

4 comments:

  1. Sue - Thank you so much for sharing our book here! It means a lot to me that you like it. Many warm wishes to you and yours for the new year ahead. Peace, a. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything Amy VanDerwater writes. I read this a little while back and I need to order a copy. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome! I love poetry and reading- so I will have to check these poems out. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like Rosi, in the above comment, I love Amy VanDerwater's books, too. I haven't seen this one, so I'm thrilled to have a reason to visit the library again this week.

    ReplyDelete