Friday, February 15, 2013

Glamorus Glasses



Glamorous Glasses
By Barbara Johansen Newman
32 pages; ages 4 - 8
Boyds Mills Press, 2012

“I have a best cousin named Joanie. Mom has a best sister named Tessie. We are all best friends, and we do everything together.”

So when Joanie needs glasses, Bobbie goes along to help her pick out a pair. There are so many cool styles and colors that Bobbie decides she needs a pair too. When mom says no, Bobbie comes up with ways to “prove” she needs glasses. Meanwhile, Joanie hates wearing them… and what results is a comedic switcheroo.

Theme: friendship

Beyond the book: If you don’t wear glasses and really want some cool specs, go find some at yard sales. You can always take out the lenses and decorate the frames. And check out the activities Barb has at her website.

This review is part of PPBF (perfect picture book Friday), an event in which bloggers share great picture books at Susanna Leonard Hill's site. She keeps an ever-growing list of Perfect Picture Books. Review copy provided by the publisher.

12 comments:

  1. This book reminds me of my best friend and I, although I wore the glasses! What fun. Any book on friendship get my vote...thanks Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like me growing up - I so wanted a pair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too - always felt "left out". But now, with bifocals I'm thinking maybe I'd rather not...

      Delete
  3. Sue - this sounds fun...and reminds me of 5th grade when I got glasses just like my girlfriend. They were cat's eye style with little flowers. And you are right about bifocals. Sometimes I have to use a McGyver type magnifying glass to see my artwork or sewing or beading or.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we need Glamorous magnifying glasses! Get out yer glue gun and rhinestones!

      Delete
  4. Sue, what a hoot! I wanted wanted glasses so badly as a kid because I thought they were cool, but didn't need them. Now I hate them. Great book about friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody loves "dress-up" and glasses are a fun way to do it. The book looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a really cute book. Stories about good friends are always winners. I don't think I need glasses, but sometimes I have to wear them because certain people think it looks cute. It's funny hearing you ladies talk about glasses! I'm going to check out this book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was on the side of the girl who needed them, but did not want to wear her glasses. Still don't find them glamourous! Other than my dislike for my glasses, this sounds like a fun book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great, Sue! I confess... when I was in grade school the rage was pretending to have braces - unbend a paperclip etc. :) Why did that seem so desirable? I think this book will speak to lots of kids. Thanks for adding it to our list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh argh! I would have given anything to NOT have braces! all those rubber bands and the headgear!

      Delete
  9. This book sounds like fun -- as does your suggested activity. Since I've worn glasses since age 8, I can't imagine someone who doesn't have them actually wanting them, but I guess we all look at other people and think what they have is "cooler."

    ReplyDelete