Monday, December 17, 2012

More ... or maybe less?





More
By I.C, Springman; illustrated by Brian Lies
40 pages, ages 4 and up
Houghton Mifflin Books for Children, 2012

Just like people, some birds collect stuff. Bower birds decorate their bowers with blue things; crows are attracted to shiny things. And magpies? In this book, magpie collects anything and everything. He carries pocket watches, marbles, and keys back to his nest. At some point it becomes “Much too much” … and time for a friendly mouse to intervene.

Forty-four words are enough to tell the story about when “more” is more than enough. Coupled with Brian Lies expressive illustrations of an acquisitive magpie, this book clearly illustrates that in some cases, less is more. This is a fun book, and certainly not meant to be taken as fact. Still, when I reached the last page I found myself searching for end notes, an author’s note …  anything that might explain why magpies are such pack rats. 

Review copy from publisher.

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a really cute book! I really like the look in that birds eye! I think I'll have to look for this one -- Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete